Whisky Sauce (without cream)
Whisky Sauce is a traditional Scottish recipe, usually served on Burn's Night and usually loaded with heavy cream. This veganified version replaces the cream with coconut cream, making it paleo as well, apart from the whisky! This Vegan Whisky Sauce recipe pairs perfectly with your favorite Scottish meal - haggis, neeps, and tatties!
Servings: 4 people
pot or saucepan
measuring cups or scales
- 2-3 tbsp whisky *see notes
- 207 g coconut cream from a can of coconut milk **see notes
- 50 ml stock (vegetable or chicken) just over 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter regular, plant-based, or ghee
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Generous amount of pepper to taste
- Salt if needed, to taste
Combine the coconut cream, stock and dijon mustard into a pot or saucepan over medium heat, and allow them to melt together.
Add in the butter and then the pepper. Stir well.
Allow the ingredients to come to a light simmer for about 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off completely and add the whiskey to taste. Stir well. Add a little more pepper and some salt if needed. Enjoy!
* I added 2.5 tbsp of whisky. I've seen people add as much as 4 tbsp - start with less and add more if you want more flavor.
**I added all of the top hard cream from one can of chilled coconut milk. It came to 207g. A little more or less won't hurt, just avoid adding the clear liquid.