Loaded with hearty vegetables and warm spices, this Vegan Stew Recipe is extremely comforting! Set it and forget it in the slow cooker or instant pot, this one-pot recipe is perfect for getting cosy on colder days. Sprinkle with Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds for an extra crunch!
Why you will love this Jackfruit Stew Recipe
- It’s ultra comforting. Rich, tomatoey, warm and spicy, this vegan stew recipe is comfort in a bowl.
- It’s healthy! It’s made with winter vegetables like butternut squash and pumpkin, plus fruits like jackfruit and tomatoes. This Jackfruit stew recipe is just veggies, fruit, spices and broth.
- You can make it for meal prep: This recipe makes a whole 6qt slow cooker – perfect to set and forget on a Monday morning for a couple of dinners throughout the week.
- We use the whole pumpkin and butternut squash! Yes, I even used the seeds to make Air Fryer Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Seeds, they make such a tasty gluten-free crouton substitute.
- It’s low calorie: A *huge* portion of this vegan stew comes to less than 250 calories. Volume eating, yes please!
Key ingredients for this Vegan Stew Recipe
- Squash: I used two types of squash: pumpkin and butternut squash. They are both easily available in late octover/early November, however, substitute another squash like acorn squash, extra sweet potato or regular potato if you can find either of the squash varieties.
- Other vegetables: Sweet potato, onion, and garlic. The sweetness is essential to this vegan stew recipe and the onion and garlic just enhance all of the other flavours.
- Fruit: Adding jackfruit to this recipe gives it a meatier texture, kind of like a vegan beef stew. Tomatoes are the other fruit in this vegan stew recipe, adding flavour, volume and heartiness.
- Spice: I added some nutmeg, cinnamon and chili powder. Keeping it very simple, I wanted to highlight these spices, especially nutmeg which can be overlooked at times.
- Broth: Vegetable stock/broth, either homemade or store bought. If using storebought, hold off on the salt until you can taste everything together at the end.
How to make Slow Cooker Vegan Stew
Click through this story for all of the steps!
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove until piping hot.
- Freezer: Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 6 months. That completely before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
What can I serve with this vegan stew recipe?
What can I substitute for beef stew meat?
There are a few vegetarian or vegan options that will work well instead of beef, and you can substitute them for each other in this recipe as well:
- Jackfruit: My beef substitute of choice, it has a meaty shredded beef-like texture and absoberbs the other stew flavours so well.
- Mushrooms: Another meaty vegan option, mushrooms have a chewier texture which can replicate beef well.
- Lentils: Lentils are vegan, hearty, and perfect in stews! They take on the texture and can help to thicken stews up as well.
- Beans: Many kinds: chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, they all are great in stews instead of meat.
Is beef stew vegan?
Well, traditionally beef stew has beef in it, however, this vegan beef stew recipe is meatless so it is indeed vegan! Adding jackfruit gives this vegan stew recipe a beefy texture without actually adding meat.
How can I thicken my vegetarian stew?
My vegan jackfruit stew thickened up well on its own, but if you need some extra help there are a few options. I tend to thicken sauces (and stews) with either tapioca starch or xanthan gum. Just add a teaspoon or two into a small bowl and mix it with some of the liquid from the stew. Add more and more liquid until it is pourable, pour it back into the stew and mix well. Cornstarch is also a great thickener for stews and sauces. As I added sweet potato, it helps to thicken the stew up as it cooks down.
More easy vegan recipes you will love:
- INSTANT POT VEGAN CHILI
- VEGAN JALAPEÑO POPPERS
- LOADED VEGAN CHEESE DIP
- GLUTEN-FREE SCALLOPED POTATOES IN TOM KHA SAUCE
- BREADLESS BRUSCHETTA WITH AVOCADO
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 small pumpkin, diced (880g), see notes for substitutions*
- 1 large butternut squash, diced (550g)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced (180g)
- 400g can of diced tomatoes
- Up to 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400g can of jackfruit, drained
- salt and pepper
- Turn the slow cooker on to the high setting and add olive oil.
- Prep all of the vegetables.
- Add onion to the slow cooker and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chili powder and heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato, canned tomatoes, and canned jackfruit. Fill the slow cooker with up to 500 ml vegetable stock (or less) and close the lid.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Taste, add salt and pepper as desired.
- Garnish with Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds (see notes for recipe).
*You can substitute the pumpkin for another variety of squash like acorn squash, more sweet potato or regular potato if you're making this after pumpkin season.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds Recipe: https://www.gallaxygastronomy.com/air-fryer-pumpkin-seeds/
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information and calculations will vary with the use of different brands or ingredients. These figures are estimates. Please get in touch if you have questions!
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]