These super easy Vegan S’mores Cupcake Cookies are a mouthful of plant-based sweet perfection! Made with gluten-free vegan crushed cookies, chocolate and topped with vegan giant marshmallows, you won’t miss the regular version. These little vegan gluten-free s’mores bites are perfect anytime, especially when the weather isn’t the best to make traditional s’mores over a fire.
Little bite-sized treats are my favorite, especially when I can make them for my vegan friends as well! These Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites are perfect anytime you can get your hands on pureed pumpkin, and for something a little fun and special, try these Layered Paleo Vegan Cupcakes, perfect for parties!
Vegan S’mores Cupcakes
Here in the UK we don’t really have s’mores. I suppose the closest thing would be a rocky road (my mum makes the best, of course) which is mostly chocolate with crushed cookies and mini marshmallows mixed in. Sometimes there are raisins or peanuts as well. S’mores, on the other hand, are a layered campfire treat in the US: top and bottom layers are graham crackers, then some chocolate and a freshly roasted marshmallow in between. Gooey perfection, yes, please!
These S’mores are more like vegan s’mores cookies. They’re super easy to make: crushed gluten free vegan cookies mixed with chopped chocolate and a little almond milk and plant based butter make the cookie cup base, and they’re topped with a giant vegan marshmallow each. Poppable? Yes. Addictive? Absolutely!
This vegan s’mores cookie recipe is super easy to throw together and perfect year-round, whether or not you have campfire weather! As they’re quite compact and easy to hold, they’re much less messy than the traditional s’mores that you make on the fly. They’re great to make ahead and will last several days as there are no real perishable ingredients involved.
Vegan S’mores Ingredients
- Cookies: For this recipe, I used gluten-free digestive biscuits, which are naturally vegan as well. You can also buy or make your own Gluten Free Graham Crackers for the classic s’mores taste!
- Chocolate: Tesco’s own dairy-free chocolate worked really well in these vegan s’mores bars, but I think you could use any vegan chocolate you have on hand or your favorite from the store. This particular chocolate was a “milk” chocolate, however, dark would be great too!
- Marshmallows: After a little searching online, I stumbled across The Conscious Candy Co. and they happen to sell giant vegan marshmallows! They are perfect for this recipe, cut in half.
- Butter: Just regular butter or plant-based butter is fine!
- Milk: I added unsweetened almond milk to combine all of the cookie base ingredients together. Any kind of milk you have on hand will work for this!
How to make Vegan S’mores
- Prep the oven and mini cupcake tray. Firstly, turn the oven on to 180°C/356°F. Add mini cupcake wrappers to a mini cupcake tray. You’ll need 24.
- Chop Chocolate and cookies. Secondly, carefully chop up the chocolate into small pieces (or use vegan chocolate chips), and pound the cookies in a sealed ziplock bag with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs.
- Melt & add butter. Next, melt the butter in the microwave for a few seconds (try 10 seconds at a time) or on the stove in a pot (this is what I did) and mix it into the crumbled cookies
- Mix in chocolate and milk. Add in the chocolate pieces and milk, and mix well. It should combine into a dough but not be runny.
- Add to cupcake cases. After that, add the chocolate chip cookie mixture to the cases, and fill them until they are just over half full. It’s okay if you have some leftover…eat it as is or make some extra after the 1st batch! Press down in the middle to make a little well.
- Bake! Bake for 13 minutes until they begin to turn golden on the sides.
- Cut marshmallows. While the cookies are baking, cut the marshmallows in half, so that you have two smaller cylinders (not half-circles).
- Cool and press. When the cookie base is out of the oven, allow them to cool slightly, then gently press down in the middle to reinforce the well/dent from before.
- Top & broil! Top each cookie base with a half-marshmallow, cut-side down, and then broil them in the oven for about 5 minutes, keeping a close eye to make sure they don’t burn. When they’re golden/brown, they’re ready, but don’t take them out.
- Leave in the oven. Finally, leave the Vegan S’mores in the oven for 5 more minutes to melt, and then remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before consuming.
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
What are the best vegan marshmallows for s’mores?
The ones I used were the giant marshmallows from The Conscious Candy Co. here in the UK. Here are a few more options I’ve found but haven’t tried:
- Ananda’s Totally Toastable Vegan marshmallows (their other flavored vegan marshmallows like vanilla may work too)
- Dandies Vegan Marshmallows look perfect (available in the UK and US)
- Freedom Mallows have some giant vegan marshmallows as well as some other sizes you could double up on.
Vegan Chocolate for S’mores
Luckily, these days there are plenty of dairy-free chocolate options for vegans and also people who have a lactose intolerance. I used, cheap and cheerful, Tesco’s own Free From chocolate, but really any bar will work. I’d probably stick to plain, milk or dark, but if you want to try something fun like salted caramel, be my guest!
More Vegan Party Food recipes you’ll love:
- Loaded Vegan Queso Dip
- Dark Cherry Frozen Margaritas
- Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
- The BEST Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 160g plain cookies of choice , GF, digestives, graham crackers, etc.
- 70g chocolate (12 squares), chopped
- 30g butter (2 heaped tbsp), regular or plant-based
- 12 jumbo marshmallows, halved
- 2 1/4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, or a milk of your choice
- Turn the oven on to 180°C/356°F, and then add mini cupcake wrappers to mini cupcake tray.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces, like small chocolate chips.
- Pound and roll the cookies in a sealed ziplock bag with a rolling pin (or wine bottle) until they are finely crushed. You could also use a food processor.
- Melt the butter using either a pot on the stove, or the microwave in bursts of 10 seconds.
- Add the butter and crushed cookies to a mixing bowl and mix.
- Add the chocolate and unsweetened almond milk and mix well.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared cupcake wrappers, filling up to about half wa or a little over.
- Push the middle of each cookie down a little to form a small well/dent.
- Bake for 13 minutes.
- While the cookie cups are baking, slice the jumbo marshmallows in half so that you have 24 small cylinders (not semi-circles).
- Remove cookie cups from the oven and press the middles down a bit more if needed, taking care not to burn yourself. You may need to wait a few minutes to do this.
- Place a 1/2 marshmallow on each cookie cup.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until the marshmallows turn golden brown. Watch them or they'll burn!
- Turn the oven off and leave the Vegan S'mores in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove, cool, & serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g