Instant Pot Vegan Chili is by far the best Vegan Chili I’ve tried to date! It’s super easy – either throw it all in an instant pot or a slow cooker and voila! It makes enough to feed an army and also freezes well. Also keto, paleo & Whole30 friendly, give this Vegan Smoky Chili a go! 10g net carbs per serving!
This vegan low carb chili is probably one of the biggest “ah-ha!” moments I’ve had to date. Confession time: I hate mushrooms. I’ll take that back, I think they smell amazing when they’re cooking and I really want to love them. However, they’re slimy and spongy and just weird. BUT! When working in a kitchen, I learned that if I chop them up very finely and fry them with enough salt and garlic, the texture improves (they can even get crispy, whaaat?) and these little fungi can be delicious.
So, in my quest to eat more veggies, I knew I wanted to try to incorporate more mushrooms somehow. Why? They’re low carb (0.3g net carbs per 100g, hello!), SUPER cheap, and can take on whatever flavours you throw their way.
Where did I first hear of Vegan Walnut Chili?
As a VA I get to check out so many blogs and fun recipes every day, so this dish was inspired by Instant Pot Pumpkin Walnut Chili I saw on Pinch of Yum’s Pinterest a few weeks back. I haven’t tried that recipe yet (maybe next October when I can find pumpkins again!) but it looks great! It uses beans which I’m trying to mostly steer clear of for now.
Where does the smoky flavor come from?
Let me introduce you to my new best friend: Liquid Smoke.
Yes, it is vegan! It’s made by heating soaked wood chips in a chimney or on a grill and catching the vapour as it’s expelled. If you make your own it’s definitely paleo and whole30 compliant, but check the ingredients for store-bought – some have molasses and unnatural colouring. I’m looking forward to more experimentation with this fun ingredient – keep your eyes peeled!
Tips and tricks
- Like it spicier? Add some chilis for extra heat!
- Want to make it even lower carb? Use less onion and a green pepper instead of red.
How to make this Instant Pot Vegan Chili
Chop up all veggies.
Very finely cut mushrooms.
Crush the walnuts
Add all to the Instant pot or slow cooker.
Add spices, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut amines and liquid smoke.
For the Instant Pot, set it to the bean/stew setting for 15 minutes, and let it naturally release when it’s finished. For the Slow Cooker set it on 4 hours high or 6 hours low.
How to store Instant Pot Vegan Chili:
Store this chili in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months in and freezer bag or airtight container.
More recipes to try
- THAI COCONUT SOUP WITH SHRIMP (VEGAN OPTION!)
- THE BEST VEGAN STIR FRY
- HOW TO MAKE VEGAN JALAPEÑO POPPERS
- LOADED VEGAN QUESO DIP
- HOW TO MAKE WHISKY SAUCE WITHOUT CREAM (VEGAN + PALEO)
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 150 g walnuts, crushed
- 970 g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4-5 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 400 g tins of tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut aminoes
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, garnish (optional)
- dairy free cheese, garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp dairy free sour cream or yogurt, garnish (optional)
- cilantro, garnish (optional)
- 800g cauliflower rice, to serve (optional)
- Chop up all veggies.
- Very finely cut mushrooms.
- Crush the walnuts
- All all to the Instant pot or slow cooker.
- Add spices, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut amines and liquid smoke.
- For the Instant Pot, set it to the bean/stew setting for 15 minutes, and let it naturally release when it’s finished. For the Slow Cooker set it on 4 hours high or 6 hours low.
- Add garnishes (optional).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Unsaturated Fat: 0g