The ultimate moreish snack, Toasted Coconut Flakes are so addictive! Made with just 2 ingredients in 10 minutes, keep the oven off for this toasted coconut chips recipe. It’s perfect as a stand-alone snack, on top of breakfast and smoothie bowls, or add them to desserts!
Why you will love this recipe
- They’re addictive! Crunchy, slightly salty and naturally a little sweet, you won’t be able to stop munching on these toasted coconut chips. It’s like a healthy chip or crisp – so crunchy!
- SO easy. All you have to do is add the raw coconut chips to a skillet and stir the coconut chips over a medium-high heat until they are brown and crispy.
- Quick! They’re ready in 10 minutes or less. That’s pretty quick for something so delicious =]
- They’re low carb: This recipe is just toasted coconut flakes with a little sea salt. That’s all. No added sugar or sweetener. A must-make keto-friendly snack!
- Healthy! As this recipe is just coconut flakes and a small amount of salt, they are packed full of protein and great for just about any diet. Simple and natural is the best!
- They are copycat Dang! Toasted Coconut Chips! There was a point in time when I would always buy Dang Toasted Coconut Chips when I went to the store. Just the plain salted ones. They are seriously addictive! I wish I’d know how easy they are to make at home – I definitely spent a pretty penny. This recipe tastes just like the Lightly Salted Dang Coconut Chips.
- Coconut: Coconut flakes or chips are what you need for this recipe – not dessicated or shredded coconut. It would probably work with dessicated coconut but it would be difficult to eat it as a snack. The coconut chips are thicker pieces of coconut, perfect for snacking on, just like chips/crisps.
- Salt: Just a tiny wee sprinkle of salt. This ingredient is entirely optional.
How to toast coconut in a pan
Click through this story and follow the step-by-step instructions below!
Place a medium-size skillet on the stove over medium-high heat, and then add the raw coconut chips.
Stir the coconut chips continuously until they turn golden-brown. The coconut flakes will release a little coconut oil when they are toasting – that’s what we want!
When they have finished toasting, place the toasted coconut flakes into a mixing bowl. I like to go through and pick out any coconut chips that need a little extra time and pop them back into the skillet, but this is totally optional.
While they’re still hot, sprinkle and toss the toasted coconut chips with a pinch of salt. I do this while they’re still hot because the salt will stick to the oil that is released when the toasted coconut chips are hot.
Allow the coconut chips to cool completely and then munch away! I find that the longer I let them cool, the crispier the coconut chips become, so if you can wait for 30 minutes or an hour, that is ideal.
How to store toasted coconut flakes
Store these toasted coconut chips in an airtight container or resealable bag at room temperature or the fridge, after they have completely cooled. They last for a week at room temperature and up to 1 month in the fridge!
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Stir the coconut continuosly. This helps to prevent the toasted coconut flakes from burning.
- Don’t add too much salt! A little really goes a long way on these toasted coconut chips. I just use a pinch and no more.
- Try other seasonings and spices. Toasted coconut chips would be delicious with a pinch of cinnamon, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric or rosemary. Let me know if you try different spice blends on this toasted coconut chips recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are toasted coconut flakes healthy?
Yes! This recipe calls for just raw coconut chips and a little salt. They are very healthy, packed with protein, fibre, low carb, and low sugar.
What do you eat with toasted coconut flakes?
Does toasted coconut taste better?
For me, toasted coconut flakes are miles ahead of raw coconut chips in terms of flavour and texture. Toasted coconut flakes are crunchy, rich and they have an amazing nutty aroma. It’s really easy to eat the whole batch in one go!
Recipes using toasted coconut flakes
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Coconut and Mellow Curry Seeds by Patagonia Provisions
- Ginger Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Coconut and Pumpkin Seeds by My Recipes
- Homemade Keto Cereal by Wicked Stuffed
- Corn on the Cob with Coconut and Lime by NYT
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Good Life Eats
- Coconut Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips by Lemons and Zest (I would substitute the flour for 1:1 gluten free all purpose flour)
- Homemade Coconut Cream Pie by Sally’s Baking Addiction (I would make a GF pie crust and use a stevia/erythritol blend instead of sugar)
More recipes you will love
- AIR FRYER PUMPKIN SEEDS
- BRUSCHETTA WITH AVOCADO
- WHOLE30 RAMEN EGGS (AJITSUKE TAMAGO)
- HEALTHY CHOCOLATE MILK
- COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 120g unsweetened organic raw coconut chips (2 cups)
- A pinch of sea salt
- Place a medium skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add the raw coconut flakes and stir them continuously until they turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the heat and place them into a bowl or serving dish.
- (Optional) Pick out the coconut chips that need a little more time (if any) and toast them until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- You can try different seasonings like cinnamon, chili, smoked paprika, turmeric or rosemary.
- You can also sweeten with a. little powdered sugar or erythritol if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 30g (1/2 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 16gCarbohydrates: 8.2gNet Carbohydrates: 1.9gFiber: 6.3gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 1.7g