Rich, warm and creamy, with a kick of spice and zest – this Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp (or Tom Kha Goong) has it all! This satisfying Asian soup recipe is paleo, whole30 compliant, and can be easily made vegan.
I remember the first time I tried Tom Kha. There was an amazing Thai restaurant open until 3am in downtown Austin, TX, so a friend and I went after a gig one night. Did my mind explode? Yes. Did I start ordering it every time I saw it on a menu? Yes. Every. Single. Time.
Why I can’t get enough of this Thai Coconut Soup recipe:
- It’s SUPER filling. I was surprised at how thick and creamy I managed to make it without dairy and flour.
- It’s packed with great nutrition. Chili peppers (digestive health, heart & metabolism), lime (vitamins A, B, C & D, minerals, antioxidants), lemongrass (prevents bacteria and yeast growth), ginger (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant), garlic (vitamin C & B6, manganese, great for colds and reducing blood pressure) plus lots of different good fats and protein from the nuts and shrimp.
- The aromatic flavours are 100%
- It’s easy to make! One pot wonder =]
The lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves just add flavor and are inedible – please don’t consume! Chewing lemongrass is tasty though!
Jazz it up!
- Vegan? No problem! To make this a vegan Thai Coconut Soup, skip the shrimp and add some nori (seaweed) and 1 block of extra-firm tofu. Brown the tofu on all side first and remove before beginning the recipe (or cook it in a separate pan).
- Shellfish allergies or no shrimp available? Try cubed chicken or white fish instead, or just leave it out.
- Like it really spicy? Add more chili peppers and ginger.
How to store Thai Coconut Soup:
This stores very well in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It tastes even better the next day so be sure to make extra!
More Recipes you will love:
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Remember to subscribe to the email list for sparking new recipes in your inbox!
Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp (Tom Kha Goong)
- large pot
- chopping board
- 425 g peeled shrimp (550g unpeeled) vegetarian/vegan – see notes*
- 300 ml boiling water
- 110 g cashews
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 stalks of lemongrass see notes**
- 2 red chillis diced
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 500ml vegetable broth
- 2-3 tsp salt to taste
- 1-2 fresh limes cut into wedges
- fresh coriander optional
- shredded Nori optional, to taste
- Add cashews to boiling water and let sit for at least 10 minutes. You can prep this the night before.
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Sautee onions for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilis. Sautee for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk then kaffir lime leaves, stir.
- Blend cashews in their water and add to pot.
- Add broth, stir.
- Salt to taste.
- Bring to boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with fresh lime and cilantro/coriander.