Ready in less than 5 minutes, this Spicy Mayo Recipe will be your new favorite dipping sauce! Perfect for sushi, fries, poke bowls, and roasted veggies, this simple creamy spicy sauce will become a staple in your fridge.
Japanese restaurants are one of my favorite places to eat out, especially sushi restaurants. The best thing for me is the spicy tuna rolls! My favorite part is always the spicy mayo on top of the roll. It really hits the spot.
My homemade version of spicy sriracha mayo is made with just a few basic ingredients: garlic mayo, sriracha, and sesame oil. If you don’t have garlic mayo, just add a little garlic powder to your mixing bowl, and voila, you have the perfect sauce.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- Easy: All you have to do is mix the ingredients together! Optionally, you can also make the mayonnaise from scratch, which is much easier than you might think!
- Quick: This takes less than 5 minutes to throw together…even if you make the mayonnaise from scratch!
- Simple ingredients: There are just 3 main ingredients: mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, and sesame oil. You can also optionally add garlic powder (I added fresh garlic when I made my mayo. SO good!).
- Tastes great on everything! This spicy mayo sauce goes on just about anything! From sushi rolls and sushi bowls to french fries and roasted vegetables, it is delicious!
- Fits many diet preferences: It’s naturally keto-friendly and low carb (1g net carbs), but substitute vegan mayo for a 100% plant-based version, or use a paleo or whole30 compliant mayo and hot sauce to fit those diets.
🗝️ Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Mayonnaise: I made my own mayo (with garlic) in a mason jar. It’s SUPER quick and easy to throw together. You’ll never buy mayo again once you try this garlicky sauce! However, you can also use store-bought mayonnaise for this recipe if that’s what you prefer. Kewpie mayonnaise is the classic Asian option, but Hellman’s is great too.
- Sriracha sauce: This sweet and spicy sauce is absolutely addictive! It blends so well with the mayonnaise. It’s like they’re meant to be together. Feel free to add a different chili sauce if desired. Check out this post for a few different types of hot sauce options!
- Sesame oil: Super nutty and absolutely moreish. Spicy mayo is fine without it, but if you can add it to your Japanese mayonnaise, it really makes a huge impact on the flavor.
- Garlic powder: This is optional but I’ve listed it because I used garlic mayo for this recipe. If you’re using regular mayo just add 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic powder.
🥣 How to make Spicy Mayo for Sushi
- Optional: Make homemade mayonnaise.
- Combine everything: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
🪄 Recipe Notes & Tips
- Spiciness: Adust the amount of sriracha by adding a little more if you like it spicier, or a little less sriracha if you’re not a fan of the heat.
- Type of hot sauce: Any kind of hot sauce you have on hand will work for this creamy spicy mayonnaise recipe! I prefer hot sriracha sauce because it’s slightly sweet, but I’ve also made it with Encona with great results. Check my hot sauce post for more hot sauce ideas.
- Mayo: You can also play with different ratios of mayo. If it’s too spicy, add a tablespoon more at a time until it is the right level of heat for you.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice or lemon juice for a delightful acidic kick.
Pro tip: I like to keep this spicy sushi sauce in a squeeze bottle to make it easier to drizzle across sushi or poke bowls. I clean out and reuse a small sriracha bottle for this.
❓ What does this spicy mayo recipe go with?
There are so many options! Here are a few of my favorites:
Wondering how to order Keto Sushi at a restaurant? Check out this post for all of the options!
😋 More sauce recipes you will love
Have you made this recipe? We’d love to know <3 Tag us (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) mayonnaise (see note 1 for homemade)
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) sriracha
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional, see note 2)
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice (optional, see note 3)
- Optional: Make homemade mayonnaise if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients (mayo, sriracha, sesame oil garlic powder, and lime juice) and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- My homemade garlic mayonnaise recipe is perfect for spicy mayo.
- Garlic powder: If you're using store-bought mayo instead of homemade garlic mayo, add garlic for the best flavor.
- Lime juice: Lemon juice can be substituted.
- Spiciness: Adust the amount of sriracha by adding a little more if you like it spicier, or a little less sriracha if you're not a fan of the heat.
- Type of hot sauce: Any kind of hot sauce you have on hand will work for this creamy spicy mayonnaise recipe! I prefer hot sriracha sauce because it's slightly sweet, but I've also made it with Encona with great results. Check my hot sauce post for more hot sauce ideas.
- Mayo amounts: You can also play with different ratios of mayo. If it's too spicy, add a tablespoon more at a time until it is the right level of heat for you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 7.4gSaturated Fat: 1.1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 1gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0.1g