Keto Enchilada Sauce is a spicy and tangy one-pot wonder that you will love adding to your keto pantry staples recipe list! Ready in 20 minutes, it’s fast, easy, delicious and perfect for making healthy enchilada casseroles. Not only is it a low carb enchilada sauce, but it’s also paleo and whole30 friendly!
Why you will love this Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- It’s fast and easy! Ready in just 20 minutes, which is much quicker than heading to the store to buy canned enchilada sauce!
- The ingredients are pantry staples. If you cook regularly at home and are on the keto diet, you will have most of these ingredients on hand already.
- It’s keto-friendly! This Keto Enchilada Sauce recipe comes to just 2.4g net carbs per serving. Result!
- It’s paleo and whole30 friendly too! Yes, you can even have this on a paleo or whole30 diet.
- Butter: I used butter to sauté the onions, herbs and spices as it tastes amazing. You can substitute olive oil or ghee if you’d prefer this Mexican enchilada sauce to be paleo or whole30.
- Onion & garlic: These two ingredients are so essential for the incredible aroma of this enchilada sauce! Use sparingly though – they can really add to the carb count!
- Spices: Chili powder, cumin, oregano and allspice give this sauce that delicious Mexican flavour! If you’re able to grinde the cumin seeds and allspice yourself, the flavour will be even better (that’s what I do)!
- Broth: I used beef broth to give the sauce a little extra depth, but you can use vegetable stock if you’ve vegan or vegetarian.
- Vinegar & lime: Just a little of each to balance the acidity of the keto enchilada sauce perfectly.
How to make Keto Enchilada Sauce
Follow this story for step-by-step visual instructions on how to make this Keto & Whole30 Enchilada Sauce:
How Many Net Carbs are in enchilada sauce?
This homemade keto enchilada sauce has only 2.4g net carbs per serving. One serving is about 1/2 a cup.
What is enchilada sauce made of?
It’s a mix of spices (chili powder, cumin, allspice or cinnamon), oregano, onion, garlic, tomato paste and beef broth, with some vinegar and lime for acidity.
More Keto Sauces
- PALEO CRANBERRY SAUCE
- EASY GREEK AVGOLEMONO SAUCE
- SUGAR-FREE KETCHUP
- BBQ SAUCE WITH SUMAC
- WHOLE30 MAYONNAISE
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 3 tablespoons butter, substitute olive oil or ghee for Whole30/Paleo
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped or minced (around 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of allspice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter over low heat in a medium pot.
- Add finely chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, allspice, and salt and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, until the spices become fragrant.
- Mix in the tomato paste.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender to make the enchilada sauce smoother (optional).
- Thicken by adding 1 tsp of xanthan gum to a separate small bowl and mix it with 1 tbsp on the enchilada sauce. Once mixed, stir in another tbsp of enchilada sauce, and then one more, before adding it back to the pot.
- Stir the xanthan gum mixture in, and continue to stir for 5 minutes.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and vinegar, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.8g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 1.3g|
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Unsaturated Fat: 0g