Both tart and sweet, this Keto Cranberry Sauce is so easy to whip up! Bursting with seasonal flavours like orange and clove, this holiday sauce will go perfectly with your Christmas or Thanksgiving keto dinner. Just 6 ingredients and less than 5g net carbs, this sugar-free cranberry sauce will keep the big day merry and bright for paleo, vegan, and low carb dieters!
Low Carb Cranberry Sauce Recipe
I have loved taking my favourite holiday recipes and keto-fying or paleo-fying them over the last 12 years. I didn’t choose to make a keto version of Cranberry Sauce until last Christmas because…someone else always made it! But finally, we were unable to travel and I was able to not only conjure up this sauce but also made a Roasted Turkey along with Gluten-Free Gravy. Delicious! Here’s what makes this sauce amazing:
- It’s both keto and paleo-friendly. All natural with only 5 ingredients, and less than 5g net carbs per serving.
- The taste of Christmas? Yes please! Cranberries are laced with ground cloves and freshly squeezed orange juice to give the ultimate craberry sauce flavour. It is SO good!
- It’s easy: Essentially you put everything minus the thickener in a pot for 10 minutes, and then thicken at the end. There’s really not much to it.
- It’s adaptable: Need it to be sweeter? Go ahead, add another 50g of erythritol or monk fruit sweetener.
Key ingredients for Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberries: You can use fresh or frozen cranberries in this recipe. I used thawed frozen cranberries.
- Sweetener: Erythritol is (currently) my sweetener of choice as it’s easy to buy in the UK, but you can use what you have on hand: monk fruit, stevia, etc. Feel free to add more sweetener to your own taste preference! I like mine a little sour.
- Orange juice: Freshly pressed orange juice is best, otherwise check the label of what you’re buying for extra ingredients like added sugar.
- Ground Cloves: This brings warmth and spice to this keto cranberry sauce recipe.
- Xanthan gum: I use this to thicken up the sauce at the end. You can also use 1 tbsp tapioca starch instead but it will increase the carb count.
How to make Keto Cranberry Sauce
Follow this story to see step-by-step pictures showing how to make this sugar-free cranberry sauce recipe.
Are Cranberries Keto Friendly?
Yes! 100g of fresh cranberries has 7.6g net carbs making it perfectly acceptable as a food on the keto diet in moderation. For any store-bought, pre-packaged cranberries or cranberry products, check the nutrition label for added sugar.
Is Cranberry Sauce high in carbs?
Regular cranberry sauce is loaded with sugar making it very high carb, almost like a jam. Substituting sugar for a low carb alternative reduces the carb count significantly making it keto-friendly.
Will Cranberry Sauce thicken without sugar?
It could, but it will take a long time if it does. I used xanthan gum to thicken it instead as it’s low carb and paleo-friendly.
More Holiday Recipes
- EASY KETO APPLE CRISP
- THE BEST EASY ROASTED TURKEY
- GLUTEN-FREE TURKEY GRAVY
- THE BEST BAKED CAMEMBERT WITH HONEY: 2 WAYS
- WHOLE30 PARSNIP PUREE WITH RED CHILI FLAKES
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
Keto Cranberry Sauce
- a medium pot with a lid
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups/a scale
- measuring jug
- 400 g cranberries fresh or frozen & thawed
- 160 ml orange juice fresh or store-bought
- 110 g erythritol or your preferred sweetener *see notes
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp xanthan gum or 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- Add the erythritol and orange juice to the pot over medium heat and stir until dissolved.
- Add the ground cloves, vanilla extract, and cranberries.
- Place the lid in the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After simmering, remove 4 tbsp of the liquid from the pot. Whisk it with the xanthan gum a little at a time and then return the mixture to the pot, whisking continuously.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes, whisking constantly.
- Serve immediately with turkey or your preffered holiday dinner.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g Net Carbs: 4.9g||10%|
|Total Sugars 3.6g|