Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the Tex-Mex Cheese dream you’ve been craving! Made with pantry staples like cheese, cream cheese, rotisserie chicken and enchilada sauce, this easy keto dinner recipe comes together in just 25 minutes. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal to use up leftover chicken or turkey.
Why You will love this Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- It’s easy! Mix it up, add toppings and bake – really couldn’t be easier!
- It uses pantry staples: Everything in this recipe can be store bought instead of freshly made, although I did use my Keto Enchilada Sauce and made some instant pot shredded chicken.
- Save it for later! I made a large batch of this and saved half for later in the week. It reheats really well and tastes even better!
- You can use leftover meat! This is a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken or even a holiday turkey.
- It’s really low carb! Only 6.4g net carbs per serving, so it can easily fit into your macros! I like to eat this low carb chicken enchilada casserole on it’s own, but you could have a veggie side like my AMAZING guacamole, spaghetti squash, sautéed zucchini, or a simple salad with it.
Key Ingredients for Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- Chicken: Shredded cooked chicken breast is ideal for this recipe. Store-bought rotisserie chicken is great, or you can make your own shredded chicken breast in an instant pot or slow cooker. I made the instant pot method. My raw chicken weighed 1kg (2.2lbs) and cooked it weighed 670g (1lb 7oz). Diced chicken breast can be substituted, or you could also use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- Cheese: Both cheddar and mozzarella were my cheeses of choice this time (although if I could find Pepper Jack Cheese I would’ve opted for that instead of cheddar). The kind of mozzarella I used was a firm block of mozzarella cheese (I grated it), not the soft buffalo mozzarella. You can also use pre-packaged, grated mozzarella cheese but it may be slightly higher in carbs than the block of cheese. The mozzarella makes it oozy and delightful.
- Cream Cheese: I added 2 packages of 180g Philadelphia cream cheese to this recipe.
- Enchilada Sauce: My Keto Enchilada Sauce is SO good! Definitely the best option for this recipe, although store-bought will work as well. Watch out for the carbs if using store-bought.
- Green Chilies: I topped this Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole with diced fresh green chilies. Feel free to use canned if you have access to them – we don’t have them here in the UK.
How to Make Keto Chiken Enchilada Casserole
Follow this story for step-by-step instructions on how to make this recipe. The full video is below the recipe further down the page!
How many net carbs are in this recipe?
There are 6.4g net carbs per portion of this Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Perfect for a low carb or keto diet, even when served with a low carb vegetable side dish.
What kind of chicken should I use?
Shredded chicken breast is what I used for this chicken enchilada recipe. I cooked 1kg (2.2lbs) of raw chicken in my instant pot for 10 minutes on high pressure and released the pressure naturally (didn’t open the valve). The chicken fell apart easily when it was finished cooking.
You could also slow cook chicken breasts overnight and shred them, buy pre-cooked and shredded chicken, or even buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it to make shredded chicken.
In a pinch, you can use cooked diced chicken breasts instead. Have too much turkey leftover from Christmas or Thanksgiving? This is an easy and delicious way to use it up, and kickstart your Keto New Year goals!
What can I serve with this Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
- Cauliflower or broccoli rice
- Green Beans
- A simple salad
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Mexican Steet Corn Salad
- Spicy Mexican Slaw
- Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
More Mexican Recipes
- HOMEMADE WHOLE30 ENCHILADA SAUCE
- KETO GUACAMOLE
- LOADED PLANT-BASED QUESO DIP
- KETO CRISPY BEEF CARNITAS
- WHOLE30 TACO SEASONING
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 2 cups enchilada sauce, divided (454g)
- 670 g /1lb 7 oz shredded chicken, or diced chicken, or leftover turkey *see notes
- 360 g cream cheese, (2 180g packages)
- 200 g cheddar cheese, or Pepper Jack, grated
- 200 g mozzarella, grated from a firm block or pre-grated bag (not soft buffalo)
- 2 green chilies, diced
- 1 squeeze fresh lime, to garnish, optional
- fresh cilantro, to garnish, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, grate and mix the two cheeses together.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of the enchilada sauce with the cream cheese, half of the mixed shredded cheese, and the shredded chicken together well.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13" baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the cheese, and then sprinkle with fresh diced chilies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese melts and is a little bubbly on the edges.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, if desired.
*I added 1kg/2.5 lbs of raw chicken breasts and a cup (227g) of chicken stock to the instant pot for 10 minutes on high pressure, then used natural release (didn't vent the valve). The cooked chicken weight was 670g/1lb 7oz.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 36.1g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 20.8g||104%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||1%|
|Total Sugars 1.8g|
|Vitamin D 4mcg||20%|
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Unsaturated Fat: 0g