Whisky Sauce is a traditional Scottish recipe, usually served on Burn’s Night and usually loaded with heavy cream. This veganified version replaces the cream with coconut cream (trust me, it’s AMAZING), making it paleo as well, apart from the whisky! This Vegan Whisky Sauce recipe pairs perfectly with your favorite Scottish meal – haggis, neeps, and tatties!
I love making sauces – they really bring dishes together, like this haggis dinner. If you love sauces as well, my Loaded Vegan Queso Dip is super gooey and cheese-like, and if you’re making a burger, smother some BBQ Sauce with Sumac over it. SO good!
Vegan Whisky Sauce recipe
Happy Burn’s night! You can take the lassie out of Scotland, but you really can’t take Scotland out of me. That would be painful, and would involve blood.
We’re celebrating Burn’s Night in lockdown this year, like hopefully every other Scot in the world, and luckily Newcastle is close enough to the border to have a great supply of my favorites like Irn Bru (okay, not really a favorite), and our local butcher even makes their very own haggis at New Year and for Burns night. It’s not Scotland, but Newcastle isn’t so bad!
This easy vegan whisky sauce recipe for haggis is perfect for dairy-free or paleo dieters who don’t mind adding alcohol while they’re cooking. It does have coconut cream in it (experimental much?) but it is surprisingly, taste-bud-explosions delicious. I’ll probably play more with the recipe and add it to other foods, it’s just so addictive. This whisky sauce without cream takes about 15 minutes to make. Perfect for whipping up right after the haggis is finished cooking!
And, of course, this paleo whisky sauce is also low carb! Whisky itself being zero carb, along with coconut cream, stock, dijon mustard, and butter is naturally low carb, brings this keto-friendly whisky sauce recipe to 2.2g net carbs per serving.
Ingredients for Paleo Vegan Whisky Sauce
- Whisky: Just a wee dram of whisky will do for this vegan whisky sauce recipe! Feel free to add more, of course.
- Coconut Cream: I scraped the thick cream off of a can of coconut milk. It’s a perfect consistency and the flavor is surprisingly incredible!
- Mustard: A hint of mustard is all you need here for s slight kick of heat.
- Stock: You can stir in either veggie stock to keep it vegan, or chicken stock would be great as well. Homemade of either is best but store-bought will work. Make sure it’s gluten-free if you’re gluten intolerant.
- Pepper: Crushed peppercorns gives this recipe for whisky sauce without cream the perfect peppery balance. It’s just right!
- Butter: Plant-based or normal butter, it really adds amazing flavor to this whisky sauce!
How to make Vegan Whisky Sauce
- Add the coconut cream, stock, and dijon. Firstly, add the coconut cream to a saucepan or pot, followed by the stock, and then the dijon mustard.
2. Pepper and butter. Secondly, as the first ingredients start to melt and come together, add the butter and then the pepper. Stir well.
3. Simmer. Next, allow the ingredients to come to a light simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Cut heat and add whisky. Finally, turn the heat off completely and add the whiskey to taste. Stir well. If you need to add a little more pepper and some salt, now is the time to do it!
What does Whisky Sauce go with?
Whisky Sauce is a savory traditional Scottish sauce that pairs with a variety of traditional and non-traditional dishes. Here’s a few to give a go:
- Haggis, neeps, and tatties (traditionally served on Burns Night, New Year’s Eve, and St. Andrews Day in Scotland)
- Mashed or roasted potatoes for Sunday lunch
- Fish Pie
- Bangers & Mash
Does Whisky Sauce have alcohol in it?
It’s not just a name, yes, whisky sauce does indeed have alcohol in it. If you’d like to retain the flavor but cook the alcohol out of the sauce, aadd the whisky earlier and allow the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes. It will still taste great!
Is there vegan haggis I can serve this with?
More vegan sauces you will love:
- Easy Homemade Guacamole
- Loaded Vegan Queso Dip
- The Best BBQ Sauce with Sumac
- Stout BBQ Sauce + 5 Ways To Use It
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
Whisky Sauce (without cream)
- pot or saucepan
- stirring spoon
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups or scales
- 2-3 tbsp whisky *see notes
- 207 g coconut cream from a can of coconut milk **see notes
- 50 ml stock (vegetable or chicken) just over 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter regular, plant-based, or ghee
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Generous amount of pepper to taste
- Salt if needed, to taste
- Combine the coconut cream, stock and dijon mustard into a pot or saucepan over medium heat, and allow them to melt together.
- Add in the butter and then the pepper. Stir well.
- Allow the ingredients to come to a light simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off completely and add the whiskey to taste. Stir well. Add a little more pepper and some salt if needed. Enjoy!