You won’t believe how easy it is to make Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy, and it’s also allergy-friendly as well! This low carb paleo turkey gravy takes minutes to whip up and is extremely rich and delicious! Perfect for Christmas, Thanksgiving, or year-round at Sunday Lunch!
We love making fancy dinners around Christmas and Thanksgiving for friends and even ourselves! This gravy is made for our easy Roasted Turkey recipe, and pairs perfectly with a side of Cranberry Sauce as well!
Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy Recipe
Turkey is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I had a great time making a small Thanksgiving turkey this year but didn’t even consider making the gravy as I had already made some sugar-free cranberry sauce. But there it was, the turkey was perfectly cooked and there was plenty of extra juice at the bottom of the roasting tray, so this Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy was made on the fly (wait…turkeys don’t fly, do they?!)!
Gluten-free, dairy-free turkey gravy takes just minutes to throw together, right before you serve dinner. I mixed the turkey drippings with some tapioca flour and coconut cream, and just stirred it all together until it thickened up. It was SO surprisingly rich and packed full of flavor thanks to the herbs, seasoning, and citrus from the turkey itself.
We use tapioca flour at home all the time to thicken up sauces, so I always have it on hand, but cornstarch would work as well, and the roasted turkey gravy would still be gluten-free, just not paleo.
Ingredients for the best gluten free turkey gravy
- Turkey drippings: As much of the extra drippings gathered under the cooked turkey as you can get! If you need extra, you can always add some chicken stock. Homemade is best!
- Tapioca flour: Tapioca flour will thicken the gravy perfectly.
- Coconut milk: Just the creamy, solid part of the coconut milk, provide a delicious richness, and surprisingly doesn’t taste coconutty (thankfully!). You may need to chill the canned coconut in the refrigerator for it to separate.
How do you make gluten free turkey gravy from scratch?
You won’t believe how easy this is!
- Drain the drippings. Firstly, carefully drain the drippings from the bottom of the turkey tray or cooking vessel into a saucepan. It’s best to move the turkey onto its serving plate, but if you don’t have one, get a friend to help hold the turkey on the tray while you tip it carefully, to remove the drippings (this is actually what we did – fewer dishes to clean).
2. Mix the tapioca. Add the tapioca to a small bowl and mix it with some of the reserved drippings from the pan. It should form a white-ish sauce and should also be able to stir easily. Add more drippings to thin it out if needed. When it’s mixed up, add it back into the saucepan and stir immediately over medium heat, until it thickens up.
3. Add the coconut milk. Finally, add the solid, creamy part of the canned coconut milk to the saucepan, and mix it all together until it is well incorporated. It should be lovely and smooth! Taste a little and add extra seasoning if you need to.
Storage & Freezing
Store this gluten-free turkey gravy in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave until it is piping hot.
You can also freeze this gluten free thanksgiving gravy recipe in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating it on the stove.
Is this paleo gravy low carb as well?
Yes! It comes in at 4.8g net carbs per serving. Possibly a little high if you’re on the keto diet, but you may find that you can fit it into your macros!
What gluten free flour is best for thickening turkey gravy?
I’ve found that both tapioca flour and cornstarch work perfectly for thickening turkey gravy. Their properties are very similar, and they yield similar results, so feel free to use what you have on hand! If using cornstarch, add it in 1 tsp at a time and see how it thickens. If you try cornstarch instead, let me know how it goes in the comments!
More holiday recipes you will love
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Bites
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
- Whole Roast BBQ Chicken
- The BEST Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Layered Paleo Vegan Cupcakes
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
Gluten Free Turkey Gravy
- small bowl
- 2 cups Drippings from a roasted turkey or turkey/chicken stock, see notes*
- 2 tbsp Tapioca flour
- 110 g Coconut cream about 1/2 cup, the solid top layer in canned coconut milk
- Drain the juices from the turkey tray/roasting pan into a saucepan on the stove.
- In a separate bowl, add the tapioca flour and 2-4 tbsp of the drippings from the pan.
- Mix together until it forms a smooth, whiteish lquid.
- Add it back into the pan, turn it onto medium heat and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Taste and season with salt if desired. **see notes