Ultra-comforting, this Gluten-Free Meatballs and Gravy recipe is so delicious and easy to make! Loaded with pantry staples and love, it’s warm and filling in all the right ways. Keto + Paleo option.
This page may include affiliate links.
Why you will love this Gluten-Free Meatballs recipe
- It’s comforting. These meatballs served over mash (caulifower or potatoes) fill you right up and are so satisfying.
- Perfect leftovers: They taste just as good if not better reheated the next day, making them perfect for meal prep.
- It’s low carb. Yes! Even keto-friendly at just 7.6g net carbs per portion, this meal is easy to fit into your keto or low carb diet!
- It’s low calorie: Comfort food without the hefty calorie number? Yes please! Each portion is only 318 calories. Add a healthy vegetable and you’re looking at a 400-500 calorie meal!
- The whole family will love it! It’s gluten and dairy-free, plus low carb but also…it has ketchup in it which is an easy selling point to kids. Ketchup meatballs for dinner! They may not even notice the mushrooms.
Key Ingredients for Gluten-Free Meatballs and Gravy
- Beef: I used 10% fat ground beef. Not the leanest but it’s better for flavour.
- Flaxseed meal & eggs: These two ingredients are binders. They keep the meatballs together, and the flaxseed meal keeps them nice and moist.
- Ketchup: My Keto Ketchup is the best ketchup recipe for these meatballs and gravy, but sugar-free store-bought ketchup will work too. I prefer homemade as it has tonnes of flavour comepared to pre-made.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Make sure to use gluten-free worcestershire sauce! Lea and Perrins is gluten free in the USA but not the UK, Canada and Europe. I’ll leave some GF options in a list below. In Australia you can buy Spring Gully Worcestershire Sauce which is gluten-free.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard is perfect for this recipe! In a pinch, yellow mustard would be okay as well.
- Mushrooms: I usd white button mushrooms, you could use brown, or another favourite that cooks down well with sauces.
- Onion: I always use red onion as that’s just what we usually buy. Yellow, white or brown onions are perfectly acceptable too.
- Beef Broth: Adds salt as well as flavour. You can use homemade, store bought, or even a gluten-free stock cube in 300ml of water.
How to make Gluten Free Meatballs and Gravy
Click through this story for all of the steps!
How do I make this recipe paleo-friendly?
I sometimes substitute balsamic vinegar for the Worcestershire sauce and add a little honey if it needs more sweetness. This also keeps it gluten-free.
Which brand have Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce?
What goes well with Meatballs?
I chose mashed cauliflower to keep it low carb, but here are some other options:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Parsnip Puree
- Mashed Turnip
- Roasted veggies
- Gluten-free pasta
- Spiralized vegetable noodles
What makes these meatballs gluten free?
By adding flaxseed meal and skipping the breadcrumbs, and using gluten-free Worcestershire Sauce or replacing it with balsamic vinegar, these meatballs are 100% gluten-free.
Do I have to cook meatballs before putting in sauce?
Yes! The sauce will disappear and the meatballs will disintegrate if you don’t cook them first! They can be partially cooked and finished off with the sauce, but make sure they’re completely seared on the outside so they don’t fall apart.
Is it better to bake or pan-fry meatballs?
In this case, I like to pan-fry them in a non-stick pan, so that I can sauté the onions for the gravy in the leftover fat.
Storage & reheating
Store the meatballs with their sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze them for up to 4 months.
Reheat in a pan on the stove. I usually make the gravy again (minus the onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper) just to boost the sauce as it seems to disappear a little in the fridge. Add the beef broth, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to a pot on the stove along with the leftover gluten-free meatballs and gravy, and reheat until the sauce is thick.
More Comfort Food You Will Love
- SUGAR-FREE ORANGE CHICKEN
- NO TORTILLA CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- KETO BRAZILIAN CHICKEN STROGANOFF
- HEALTHY POPPY SEED CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- HEALTHY CHICKEN RAMEN RECIPE
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, (optional, if not using non-stick pan)
- 680 g ground beef, 1.5lbs
- 38 g flaxseed meal , 1/4 cup
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup , *see notes
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce , **see notes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 300 g white button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar-free ketchup , *see notes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce , **see notes
- 300 ml beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add all of the meatball ingredients to a mixing bowl: ground beef, flaxseed meal, egg, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Form the meat mixture into meatballs.
- Place a large pan on the stove over medium-high heat and begin to cook the meatballs.
- As the meatballs brown, turn them over to cook evenly on all sides.
- Once finished cooking, remove from pan and keep aside, leaving the grease in the pan for the sauce.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan with the leftover grease and begin to sauté.
- After 2 minutes add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the gravy ingredients: ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Add the meatballs back in, mix with the gravy, and place a lid on the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve over a vegetable like mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes.
*I made my Keto Ketchup and used that in this recipe. It's very easy and has a much better flavour than store-bought ketchup. If you don't want to make your own, store-bought is fine but it will likely increase the total carbs in the recipe. Look for sugar-free to keep it low carb.
**Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce in the USA is gluten-free, however in the UK, it is not. I've listed some alternatives in the post above, like this one (affiliate).
I often substitute balsamic vinegar for the Worcestershire sauce (if I'm out of it) which then makes this recipe paleo. If it needs a little sweetness, add a little honey or a sweetener of your choice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.2g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 0.4g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.4g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||14%|
|Total Sugars 5.5g|
|Vitamin D 274mcg||1369%|
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Unsaturated Fat: 0g