Perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, learn how to make Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries. This is hands down the best way to make frozen fries, and it takes less time than a regular oven. This recipe is fail-proof and perfect for busy nights!
This post was originally published on January 3rd, 2022, and contains affiliate links.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- They are delicious: Have you ever wanted to make perfect restaurant-quality crispy fries at home? THIS, my friends, this is how we do it. The crunch followed by soft pillowy sweet potato goodness, it’s addictive.
- They’re a healthier alternative: Depending on your brand of sweet potato fries, these french fries are a vegan and gluten-free recipe, plus sweet potatoes are loaded with goodness! They’re rich in antioxidants and vitamin A, promote good gut health, and may even have cancer-fighting properties. Cooking them in the air fryer uses less oil than deep frying them, which means they have fewer calories.
- It’s an easy side dish: These air fryer sweet potatoes are ready in no time, and they require no chopping. They are the perfect side dish.
- Everybody loves them! Kids, adults, gluten-free, vegans, meat-eaters, who doesn’t love crispy sweet potato fries? This is a great way to get kids to eat more veggies.
🗝️ Key ingredients
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries: (You guessed it!) The main ingredient, and really the only ingredient you really need is frozen sweet potato fries from the freezer section of your local grocery store. Any will do, however, the fewer ingredients the better as more ingredients = potentially more fillers and unnecessary things in your body.
- Cooking Spray: I use my refillable olive oil cooking spray bottle. It’s the easiest way to add a little bit of oil without all of the extra ingredients that commercial cooking sprays tend to have.
- Spices & herbs (optional): If you want to enhance the flavor of this delicious side dish, by all means, go for it! My favorites to add are powdered garlic, ground smoked paprika, chili powder, cinnamon (along with some sweetener), onion powder, dried chives, and dried rosemary. Scroll down for some of my favorite seasoning combinations!
🥣 How to make Sweet Potato Fries in an Air Fryer
1. Prepare the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 360°F/180°C, and turn the timer to 25 minutes.
2. Add the sweet fries: After 5 minutes, open the air fryer tray and pour the frozen sweet potato fries into the air fryer basket. It’s not too important for them to be in a single layer. I find that they cook perfectly well over a few layers.
3. Spray oil: Spray a little oil over the frozen sweet potatoes, and season as desired.
4. Air fry: Close the tray and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Flip: Open the tray, shake the sweet potato fries or flip them over gently with tongs, and then close the air fryer tray.
6. Air fry: Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, checking after 5 minutes. Cooking time will vary from air fryer to air fryer. They’ll be crispy and beginning to brown on the ends when finished.
7. Serve! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce! Check the list below for my favorite dips to go with these tasty sweet potato fries.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
- Store any leftover sweet potato fries in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the air fryer until piping hot.
✨ Seasoning ideas for Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
Whether made in an air fryer or oven-baked, these seasonings are SO delicious and easy to toss with your sweet potato fries!
- Cinnamon Sugar: 1/2 tsp cinnamon + sprinkle of sugar or sweetener of choice
- Cajun: 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- Rosemary Garlic: 1/2 tsp garlic powder + leaves from 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
- Spicy Garlic: 1/2 tsp garlic powder + 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Hot & Smoky: 1/2 tsp smoked paprika + 1/4 tsp garlic powder + 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Parmesan Truffle: 1/2 tsp truffle oil + sprinkle of grated parmesan (add these after fries have finished cooking)
- Mexican: 1 tsp Taco Seasoning
- Italian: 1 tsp Italian seasoning + 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
- Simple: Salt + black pepper
⌛ How long should you preheat an air fryer?
All you need is about 3 minutes. I usually do about 5 just make sure the basket is very hot!
🤷♀️ Why are my sweet potato fries soggy in the air fryer?
Soggy fries happen when there is too much moisture on the fries. For the best results, make sure that they are frozen (straight from the freezer) and not thawed before adding them to the air fryer.
🍽️ What can I serve these delicious sweet potato fries with?
They’re great on their own or with:
- Steak Bites
- Chicken breasts (grilled or tenders)
- Chicken Wings
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Apple & Sage Pork Loin
- Whole Roasted BBQ Chicken
- Crispy Beef Carnitas
🤔 What dips go with sweet potato fries?
Serve these delicious fries with your favorite sauce! Here are a few that I love to dip them in:
- Ranch dressing (my personal favorite!)
- BBQ Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy Mayo
- Taco Truck Green Sauce
❓ Which is the best air fryer?
Here are a few options:
- This is the air fryer I use (affiliate). It’s so easy – I love it!
- Instant Brands Vortex comes highly rated on amazon US & UK and has a lovely choice of colors: https://amzn.to/3FUzEbr (US affiliate); https://amzn.to/3HvgaKN (UK affiliate)
- The Ninja Foodi is an air fryer, instant pot, and more, all in 1 machine! https://amzn.to/3mQQMas (UK affiliate); https://amzn.to/3EOv5hp (US affiliate)
😋 More Easy Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Pickled Beet Salad Recipe
- Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
- 5-Minute Healthy Coleslaw
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 1 bag of frozen sweet potato fries, 500g/1.1lb
- cooking spray
- seasoning, to taste (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F/180°C, and turn the timer to 25 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, open the air fryer tray and pour the frozen sweet potato fries in.
- Spray a little cooking oil over the frozen sweet potatoes, and season as desired.
- Close the tray and cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the tray, shake the sweet potato fries or flip them over gently with tongs, and then close the air fryer tray.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, checking after 5 minutes. They'll be crispy and beginning to brown on the ends when finished.
- Serve with your favourite dip! I like to have these with my Keto Garlic Mayonnaise, one of my BBQ Sauces, or Keto Ketchup. *see notes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 7.6gSaturated Fat: 1.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 37gNet Carbohydrates: 31.3gFiber: 5.7gSugar: 16gProtein: 3.3g