This Basmati Rice Instant Pot recipe is SO EASY! After trying this once you won’t look back at the conventional way of cooking rice. Loaded with buttery goodness, this easy rice recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make and doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot making clean up a breeze. It’s gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan.
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
This is one of those “lightbulb moment” recipes. I’ve had my Instant Pot for well over a year now and haven’t tried to make rice in it yet. It even has its own function for it!
This Basmati Rice Instant Pot recipe is super quick and easy to throw together. Add all of the ingredients into the pot, set it for 3 minutes on high pressure, and let it do its thing! You don’t even need to stir the ingredients before cooking. Cooking rice in the instant pot also saves time because you don’t need to check it.
The genius of adding butter to this recipe means not only is it packed full of delicious buttery flavor (and who doesn’t want that, right?) but the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot, which is one of my pet peeves when cooking rice on the stove.
Finally, one of my favorite parts of this recipe is that it uses less water than usual. When you cook rice on the stove, you need 1.5 cups of water per cup of rice, whereas to make basmati rice in an instant pot, you only need 1 cup of water per cup of rice. Every little helps when conserving water for our dear planet!
Ingredients for this Basmati Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- Basmati Rice: This recipe is strictly for basmati rice. I haven’t tried to make other rice in my instant pot yet, but I will as it’s so easy!
- Butter: Butter is optional in this recipe, however I like it for 2 reasons. 1: It keeps the rice from sticking to the bottom of the instant pot. 2: Flavor! Buttery rice is much tastier than plain basmati rice.
- Salt: You can add this to your own taste, but my guideline will give you a good estimate of the needed amount for an average person.
How to cook Basmati Rice in an Instant Pot
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you make this recipe:
What is the water to rice ratio for Instant Pot Basmati Rice?
It is 1:1, so 1 cup of rice will need 1 cup of water. Rice on the stove is 1:1.5, so 1 cup of rice would need 1.5 cups of water.
How to calculate portions per person
More Recipes You Will Love
- THE BEST VEGAN STIR FRY
- HOW TO MAKE LAHANODOLMADES – GREEK STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
- THE BEST PICKLED BEET SALAD RECIPE
- HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CARROTS
- THE BEST PALEO RAMEN EGGS (AJITSUKE TAMAGO)
Have you made this recipe? We’d love to know <3 Tag us (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
- 2 cups basmati rice, 360g *see notes
- 2 cups water, 500ml
- 4 tsp salted butter
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Add basmati rice, water, butter, and salt to the instant pot.
- Close the lid, ensuring the vent is sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes and allow the pressure to naturally release (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove the rice from the instant pot when finished releasing and serve.
*This is the amount needed for 4 servings. See the chart in the blog post's main body for cooking more or fewer portions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 617mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information and calculations will vary with the use of different brands or ingredients. These figures are estimates. Please get in touch if you have questions!