Perfect as a snack or a low-carb crouton substitute, Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds are so easy to make and ready in just minutes. Serve them on their own or over soups and stews as an added crunchy garnish. With just 0.6g net carbs per serving, they are perfect for keto, paleo, vegan and gluten-free diets.
Why you will love making pumpkin seeds in air fryer
- It’s easy! Just a matter of melting mixing your flavour ingredients with the pumpkin seeds and air frying them.
- Quick! This recipe is ready in 15 minutes.
- Perfect for a low carb snack! These Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds are keto friendly. They come to just 0.6g net carbs per 1/6 cup serving. That’s a good little handful!
- It fits many diets: These Air Fryer Pumpkin seeds are vegan, paleo, keto friendly, and gluten-free.
- They are a delicious garnish! Not only can you snack on them as they are, you can add them on top of soups, stews and salads for an extra crunch!
Key ingredients for Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds: I used the seeds from a small pumpkin which added up to 1 cup of pumpkin seeds. You can also add other squash seeds like butternut squash seeds. You’ll need to clean off all of the pumpkin pulp before adding it to the seasoning mixture. You may need to rinse and dry the seeds. I rinsed them and patted them dry with a paper towel to remove excess water. You can do this a day before and leave the seeds to dry overnight.
- Butter: Use regular butter, vegan butter or ghee. Butter adds flavour and helps to fry the seeds, making them nice and crunchy. I used unsalted butter and added salt later to taste.
- Seasoning: I wanted a smoky, spicy, and sweet flavour so Imixed in some smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, garlic powder, and a little bit or erythritol for sweetness. The erythritol melts when heated, so it gets heated in a pot on the stove along with all of the other seasonings and butter before mixing with the pumpkin seeds.
How to make Pumpkin Seeds in Air Fryer
Click through this story for all of the steps!
Do roasted pumpkin seeds go bad?
As with all foods, they can go bad especially if you add things like butter to them. These Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds last up to 1 week in an airtight container on the counter. They may turn a little soft, so either pop them back in the air fryer for 5 minutes to crisp back up or pan-fry them for 5 minutes.
Do you have to dry pumpkin seeds before cooking them?
If you use water to rinse the seeds, it’s a good idea to dry them before trying to cook them in the air fryer or the conventional oven. Here is how to clean and dry pumpkin seeds:
- Firstly, try to remove the seeds from the pulp as much as possible with your hands. It’s a little messy and sticky, but you can easily wash your hands off after all the seeds have been removed.
- Rinsing the seeds in a collander/strainer under running water, separating the seeds from the pulp with your fingers, and then pat them dry with a paper towel. You can also leave them to air dry overnight – they’ll cook quicker if you do this.
How do you store pumpkin seeds before cooking?
I like to make sure they are cleaned of all pulp first and then airdry them overnight if I had to wash them. Once dry, store in an airtight container for up to a week, making sure to roast them within 7 days.
Can you eat raw pumpkin seeds?
Yes, however, they taste much better roasted!
More easy snack recipes you will love
- PALEO BRUSCHETTA WITH AVOCADO
- PALEO RAMEN EGGS (AJITSUKE TAMAGO)
- WHOLE30 GUACAMOLE
- BAKED CAMEMBERT WITH HONEY
- VEGAN JALAPEÑO POPPERS
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to sign up to the email list for sparkly new recipes in your inbox =]
- 90 g pumpkin or squash seeds, pulp removed, 1 cup
- 1 tbsp butter, regular or dairy-free
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp erythritol
- salt to taste
- Begin by removing the seeds from the pulp, rinsing them in a colander/strainer under running water, and then pat them dry with a paper towel. You can do this the night before and allow them to dry overnight.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/180°C.
- Add butter, smoked paprika, tsp garlic powder, cayenne, cinnamon and erythritol to a pot on the stove over medium heat and melt everything together.
- Turn off heat and salt to taste.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the pot and mix well.
- Add Pumpkin Seeds to the air fryer basket and spread them out evenly.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then take the basket out of the air fryer and shake it, stirring the seeds.
- Replace the air fryer basket in the air fryer and cook for another 5 minutes
- Optional: Check the pumpkin seeds and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes if necessary.
- Remove the air fryer seeds from the air fryer, placing them in a bowl or on a tray to cool.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|
|Total Sugars 0.2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Unsaturated Fat: 0g